Ananas Anam works to the values of a circular economy, combining research and innovation to enhance the well-being of the earth and its people through the entire life cycle of the product.
Our inspiration is the *Cradle to Cradle® approach, which supports ecological, intelligent and innovative design policies within todays economic environment.
*Cradle to Cradle® is a trademark of McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry, LLC.Learn more
Piñatex® provides an additional income stream to pineapple farming communities.
Leather has been used for thousands of years, however as the industry demands more – and cheaper – supply, its production has become environmentally unsustainable.
Tanning is a complicated process, involving approximately 20 stages and 250 chemicals (including toxins and heavy metals such as hexavelent chromium, aldehyde, cyanide, zinc and lead) to halt decomposition, which are extremely damaging to both people and the environment.
Synthetic alternatives such as PVC (polyvinyl chloride) are not the solution, as these are ecologically toxic to both produce and dispose of.
Piñatex® addresses these issues as a sustainably sourced textile, made from a natural waste product, created low water use and low production waste, containing no harmful chemicals or animal products.
- No additional environmental resources required for raw material.
- No chemicals on the Cradle2cradle list of banned substances used in production.
- Closed loop production – residual leaf biomass is used as natural fertilizer/biofuel.
- Non-woven mesh is biodegradable.
Leather & synthetic alternatives
- Heavy use of resources including land, water, food and fuel.
- Toxic chemicals used in tanning and production have detrimental impact on health and environment.
- High waste mass from tanning process.
- Synthetic materials take many years to degrade, releasing toxins.
I made your fibre
I made your fibre
We are proud to work directly with the people involved throughout our supply chain, so can tell you #WhoMadeYourFibre.
This is Mario, head of the Labo Multi Purpose Farming Cooperative, and his team, who are passionate about creating social, cultural and economic opportunities within their community.
Learn more about the #WhoMadeMyClothes initiative for supply chain transparency at Fashion Revolution.
~ 13 million tonne of waste from global pineapple agriculture every year